6 Winning Strategies of Recruiting in Japan
- Write a compelling job description. Most job descriptions are depressingly generic. A great job outline emphasizes opportunities and challenges—not just the skills and qualifications required. You’re selling an opportunity, so tap into your inner creative director (think Don Draper from the show Madmen) and come up with an advertising campaign for your company and the position that you want to fill.
- Where will the candidate be in five years?Communicate candidates’ career paths to them. Great candidates have a five-year horizon and expect to excel. What is the dream at the end of the rainbow? How will the position change others’ lives, internally or externally? What is the Big Hairy Audacious Goal (BHAG—see James Collins and Jerry Porras’ 1994 book, Built to Last: Successful Habits of Visionary Companies)?
- Get connected. The Japan External Trade Organization (JETRO) provides foreign investors with abundant information on all aspects of doing business in Japan and also offers expert consultation services and even free temporary office space throughout the country.
- Choose the right recruiting partner. Your recruiting partner is your voice in the market. Your partner should match your company’s culture, passion, and values. A limited pool of candidates means that you may only get one shot at the best and brightest in the market. It’s far easier to hold one firm accountable than several.
- The right hire can be a golden recruiting goose.Top talent follows top talent.
- The offer!When making an offer to a candidate, remember Goldilocks and the Three Bears.The offer should not be too soft or too hard but just right. If you underpay or overpay your first hire, you risk salary inequity problems down the road.
Written by Philip Carrigan, (Pharma, Medical Device Recruiter Japan). Connect with me on LinkedIn.
Morunda www.morunda.com should be your choice of recruiting partner in Japan and Asia Pacific. Why? Because we live and breathe the pharmaceutical industry in Asia and the Pacific—we’re specialists!
Morunda has completed over 400 managers to director-level placements since 2001.
A cultural understanding of what it takes to secure top talent.
Over one hundred thought leadership articles published.
We hold regular seminars for candidates and clients alike with industry experts.
We understand the market, not only today, but where it is heading in the next 12 to 18 months.
Create a winning team by securing top talent in the pharma industry. Get in touch today by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.